Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Ava's Baptism



On Sunday, March 6, 2011 Ava was Baptized at St. John Vianney Catholic Church in Houston.  The entire day was really surreal.  



I Corinthians 4:1
Thus should one regard us: as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God.

Before we left home
A few months ago I attended a Bible class that talked about how we are stewards of God.  Everything that we have has been given to us by Him.  These things are really His, not ours.  Land, wealth, food, health, etc.  Then it hit me.  Ava was given to me as a gift from God.  The most precious gift that I could ever receive.  He gave her to me.  I am a steward to Ava.  As her mother, I must guide her through her life.  She is not mine, she is His.  I am a steward. As a steward for Ava's faith, I feel like the first step in building that foundation was her Baptism.  It is her first step in becoming a part of Christ. 

Ava wore the same gown that I wore when I was Baptized.  As I was dressing her, all I could think was, "Wow, I can't believe I wore this gown 23 years ago.  I was wearing this gown when I accepted Jesus.  Now my daughter is wearing this gown." Choosing Godparents was one of the most difficult decisions that Arnold and I have ever made.  After much thought we chose my good friend Amy to be her Godmother and my brother, Joseph, to be her Godfather.  


Dressing Ava
The Ceremony-
Pouring the Holy Water
First the priest asked us what name we gave our child and our reason for being there.  We answered, "Ava. Baptism."  He then asked us to accept raising Ava in the Church.  We answered, Yes.  He then claimed Ava for Christ and made the sign of the cross on her forehead.  Then we (parents and Godparents) made the sign of the cross on her forehead.  After the scriptural readings and the Homily, the priest anointed Ava with the Oil of Salvation on her chest.  After the renunciation of sin and the profession of faith, the priest then poured Holy water over Ava's head three times.  I was so proud of her because she was the only baby who did not cry or fuss as the water was being poured!  Then the priest anointed her head with the oil of Chrism.  Then, Joseph received the candle, which is a sign of Ava receiving the Light of Christ.  Then we went back to the front of the Altar and said the Lord's prayer.  Before the ceremony concluded, the priest blessed all the children.  


After the Baptism, we went to Ninfa's to enjoy a feast of fajitas with all of our family and friends.  Thankfully, there were plenty of leftovers, which makes me one happy Momma now that I don't have to cook all week!  We are so excited for Ava.  Her Baptism is one of the biggest moments in her life!  


After the Ceremony
Ava and her Godmother
Ava and Mommy

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! We are wanting to get Wyatt Babtized, but aren't actual "members" of the church we regularly attend. So many rules... She is just so beautiful! Can't wait to see her in person sometime soon. Love you!

    ReplyDelete