Monday, October 17, 2011

Babbling

Ava babbles all day long!  About what?  I seriously have no freakin' clue.  Lord only knows what she is talking about!  I wish I knew what she was talking about....or actually maybe I don't want to know....
 

Responding to a babbler does so much for their cognitive, social, and emotional development.  

A baby/ toddler is learning:
  • Communication is Meaningful.
  • To be an Individual.
  • To Critically Think.
  • To Build Vocabulary.
  • What they have to say is IMPORTANT.
  • Learning the Tone and Pitch of Language.
This is just the tip of the iceberg.  There is so much more! 

There are so many ways to respond to an avid babbler.  But too often I think parents stick to the usual "Oh Really?," "And then what?," routine. I'm guilty of this too.  Then I put a little thought into it. 

Prompts for a Parent of a Babbler:

"What do you see?"
"What do you hear?" 
"What do you smell?"
"What do you taste?"
"Did you like the ___?" 
"Did you love it?"
"So what happened after that?"
"That's amazing!  Tell me more!"

Talking to your child is so important for language development.  There are so many opportunities for speech, so make every moment count!

No comments:

Post a Comment