Friday, October 28, 2011

Frugal Friday: Homemade Laundry Detergent

I have been making our laundry detergent for a few months now and I don't think I will ever go back to purchasing it at the store.  Even with coupons and sales, making it myself saves us so much money!



Like less than a dollar can make us 6 weeks worth of detergent!  

Crazy.  I know.  

And it is so super simple!

Materials Needed:
Large Pot, Grater, Laundry Soap (Zote, Lirio, Fels Naptha) Arm and Hammer Washing Soda, Borax, Measuring cup, spoon, empty laundry detergent containers (Not Pictured)



1. Grate 1/3 of a bar of laundry soap. And put into pot.

 



2. Add 6 cups of water and allow to simmer on medium low until soap is dissolved.


3. Add 1/2 cup Borax and 1/2 cup Washing Soda. Stir until dissolved.


4. Add 1 Gallon of water, plus 10 cups of water.  Stir well. Remove from heat.


5.  Cover and allow to stand for 24 hours, so the detergent can congeal. Consistency will vary.


After 24 Hours....


6.  Pour Laundry detergent into empty containers and Voila! 


The dispenser cap things pop off for easy filling.


**A few side notes**
1.  I think the laundry detergent works great.  I truly believe that you are paying for the scent of a laundry detergent, not the cleaning job it does.
2.  The homemade laundry detergent kinda smells though.
3.  I broke down and bought this. I use about an ounce per load.  


I used a coupon, so that still makes it Frugal right?





I just wanted my laundry would smell good....... 




That's all for now!  Come back next week for a new money saving tip! 

No comments:

Post a Comment