Monday, October 24, 2011

Mother Goose Rhymes and More

Nursery Rhymes Promote Literacy in Children 

A Nursery Rhyme:
  • Allows children to hear letter sounds. And how to put the sounds together to form words.
  • Exposes a child to pitch, volume, voice, and rhythm
  • Exposes a child to uncommonly used language.
  • Teaches sequencing, pattern, parts of a story. 
  • Allows a children to use their imagination. 
  • Gives children the freedom to express themselves.
Just to name a few....


Naturally, as an educator, I want my child to know a variety of Nursery Rhymes.


I never learned Nursery Rhymes as a child.  
So I figured I need to teach myself if I want to teach her.

1.  I type out a Nursery Rhyme each week.
2.  I put it in a plastic sheet protector.
3.  And I hang it on my fridge.
    (Yeah- That would be the teacher in me.)

On Monday and Tuesday I stand in front of the fridge singing the rhyme.  
By Wednesday I can say parts of the rhyme, but I still have to be in the kitchen, so I can run to the fridge to read the next part if I forget.
By Thursday Ava is dancing to the rhyme.
By Friday I have the rhyme memorized!

I sing the rhymes to Ava all the time- In the car, on our walks, if I'm busy and she's fussy (Normally it makes her forget she's upset and she will start to dance)

This week's rhyme-



Miss Muffet
Little Miss Muffet
Sat on a tuffet,
Eating of curds and whey;
There came a big spider,
And sat down beside her,
And frightened Miss Muffet away.

No comments:

Post a Comment